Friday, September 26, 2008

If you're thinking of going to Mexico - don't.

So, by the day after my blog posting, a bunch of people scared us so much about Mexico that we changed our plan. We (my client, Nicole - who is about the same age as me and is awesome) decided that we would just drive to the border, park, walk across, take a picture of the "Welcome to Mexico" sign and go back to the U.S. All the best laid plans...

We made it to Mexico (accidentally went too far before turning off the road, and crossed the border). Oops. We tried to pull over, and got lost in the city...which is disgusting and scary. By the way, once you are there you will stop seeing signs for how to get back to the U.S. We saw this police officer, and turned down a road to ask for directions. Apparently that was a mistake too, because he took Nicole's license and said he was going to issue a ticket for going the wrong way on a one-way street (which, by the way, we weren't doing). Then, he threatened (in Spanish) to send us to the police station. Someone else the night before we went said to be careful because they will just throw Americans in jail for anything...and we were starting to think that was going to happen to us. There was this random guy behind the cop (which at this point we had decided was fake) and he was making the signal for "money" with his hands. Ok, so apparently we're supposed to pay this guy off. I had $67 in my wallet, and I thought there was NO WAY he was getting my $50 bill. So, I offered him $10, and he said "No, I need $20." So, I found another $7, and we paid him off for $17 to escape from Mexico. The rest of the story involves getting in the wrong lane to cross back to the U.S., and having to back up. We were in Mexico for less than 10 minutes. We weren't even hungry for Mexican food, and ended up at Joe's Crab Shack for dinner.

Now, I'm trying to make my way back home...and have been stuck in the Houston airport for the last 7 hours. My flight to Denver is 3 hours late, so I'm missing my connection from there. Once I get to Denver (supposedly around midnight), I am going to a hotel, and am on the first flight out in the morning...which I just discovered is on a PROP plane. This trip has gotten so bad at this point that it is laughable. At least I'm going to have plenty of hours this week...so far I'm at 63 and counting! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So did you ever get your picture of the "Welcome to Mexico" sign?? You are definatly going to need to tell this story to the family! haha

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
I'm happy to hear you got out OK and with all your organs. Next time take Antonio Banderas along for safety sake. If Antonio isn't available, try a town that relies on tourism like; Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Cancun, etc.

Did they at least share their Tequila?

John

Allison Still said...

Glad to hear you didn't get thrown in a Mexican jail. When Corey and I were on our honeymoon in San Diego we desided to go to mexico. We were told not to cross the border but turn of before and take a bus. Well like you we missed the turn of and were in Mexico before we new it. Also I didn't have any ID on me.It can be pretty scary. Glad you made it back safe. Corey is sad that you didn't make it to a donkey show.